Skip to main content

Scrappin for me!

I had a big project to do for the elementary school Monday night. Not a 'hard' project, just time consuming. I was able to finish it after Family Home Evening while we watched a historical movie for our activity. (yay for my new high desk!) I finished before it got too late and thought, "hey! I want to do something for ME!" You know how it is, you do so much for assignments or other people that sometimes you forget why you craft at all! I decided to pull out some kits I had put together for the Scrap Expo crop I went to last month that I hadn't finished. When I say 'kits', what I mean is that I had picked out some patterned and solid papers to go with groups of pictures. It makes it easier to sit down and scrap when I don't have to dig through pictures looking for ones I want to scrap. I did a quick easy layout to get my scrappin juices flowing, and then moved onto these pictures of my daughter and her friend. I'd picked out this Bohemia paper from My Mind's Eye because I loved how the blue picked up the girl's eyes. It really seemed to compliment their coloring. It can be hard to balance three pictures sometimes, especially when they are all the same size. I decided to barely trim them and make a faux film strip with them. I mounted them at the diagonal onto basic black cardstock from Stampin' Up! To get the film strip look, I used the SU spiral punch along both sides. This little punch is SO easy to use and line up! I really like it! After I had my faux film strip, I mounted it onto my blue paper, again on the diagonal. I use basic black ink to stamp swirls and flowers in the bottom left and upper right hand corners with the Doodle This stamp set from SU. I traced the swirls with a green Velvet marker and heat set it. When you heat it, the ink puffs and turns to faux velvet. Very cool! It also softened the color and made it blend with the background paper. I traced the flowers with a purple stickles but....before it could dry, I decided I really didn't like it. I used a paper towel to carefully wipe it off and put some prima flowers on there instead. But....I decided I wasn't crazy about that either! So, I tore off the upper most right corner, flowers included, and put a piece of Close to Cocoa cardstock that I had fed through my crimper and inked with Powder Puff midnight ink. THAT , I liked! I had been dying to use my new embossing/diecutting butterflies I bought for my cuttlebug, so I ran some vellum cardstock through with those and made these awesome butterflies! I adhered them along the body with the Tombow liquid adhesive and added some clear stickles for trails. The final touches were an acetate overlay-frame on the center picture and the "beautiful"...from My Mind's Eye (Tres Jolie). I took my black micro pen to the edges and drew a loose line around the entire page instead of mounting it on something for a border. I thought would be too harsh. Sigh, so, you see...sometimes it takes a while to get it just how I want. I planned to just do a bit of scrapping last night, but when I went to bed, it was 12:30! I'll show you what else I came up with tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bradley

Sunday, my best friend died. My sweetheart of 20 years died suddenly from diabetes. We didn't know he had diabetes. It came quick and took him from me. Brad was more than just my husband, he was my best friend. I relied so very much on his strength to guide me and my children through this life. I admit I feel a bit lost without him, already. I had planned on much, much more time with him. Brad and I met on January 28th, 1989. We were both at a nightclub for under age night with our friends that had dragged us there. We were both ready to leave when we were talked into one more dance. That dance changed our lives. We hit it off right away and danced the rest of the night. In face, we were together from then on. I remember that after that night, I waited all day for his call. It was love right away for me. I felt something I had never felt before and knew that he was the one for me. We dated for six months before Brad went to Texas to go to school. We talked a lot on the phone, and I

Bloggers challenge and candy

I know I said I would post some blog candy yesterday but I didn't even get near my computer! What a crazy day! I had planned on doing it the night before but...I was in the kitchen doing the dishes and I was so dog tired that I laid my head down on the counter for a minute. My son came into the room and said, "go to bed mom, dad and I will do the dishes." Now, who in thier right mind would turn down that offer? My boys HATE to do anything in the kitchen that doesn't involve eating. I immediately turned off my water(boiling for herb tea) and skedaddled upstairs and went to bed. I'm no dummy! The kitchen was not cleaned to my standards, but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth! Speaking of gifts, I have a little blog candy offer today. In honor of my 8000 hits, I am offering the following: A simply scrappin kit "Just Delightful", a stamp set "Delight in Life", three mini spools of ribbon, some acrylic tiles AND a copy of the latest

Doubles with candy!!

Today is another fun summer day at my house. The kids are running here and there and I'm just trying to keep up. I realized I hadn't sent out Father's day cards yet, so that is what I worked on today. I tried to keep these nice and clean and manly. I remember going to a demonstration at a Stampin' Up! convention years ago where Kevin Theeson and another guy(I forget his name....) talked about 'manly' cards. One of the things they stressed was that guys don't like cards made with pastel cards. They prefer bold bright and earth element colors. I'm not sure if they suggested we stay away from florals too, but I kind of figured that was a safe idea. ;o) For this card I started with some textured Wild Wasabi cardstock cut to 10-1/2 x 5-1/4. That gave me a 5-1/4" card when folded. The striped paper across the center is from a retired SU simply scrappin kit...primary colors I think it was called. I added a strip of Real Red to each side of the stripes for