Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Scrappin for me!

I had a big project to do for the elementary school Monday night. Not a 'hard' project, just time consuming. I was able to finish it after Family Home Evening while we watched a historical movie for our activity. (yay for my new high desk!) I finished before it got too late and thought, "hey! I want to do something for ME!" You know how it is, you do so much for assignments or other people that sometimes you forget why you craft at all! I decided to pull out some kits I had put together for the Scrap Expo crop I went to last month that I hadn't finished. When I say 'kits', what I mean is that I had picked out some patterned and solid papers to go with groups of pictures. It makes it easier to sit down and scrap when I don't have to dig through pictures looking for ones I want to scrap. I did a quick easy layout to get my scrappin juices flowing, and then moved onto these pictures of my daughter and her friend. I'd picked out this Bohemia paper from My Mind's Eye because I loved how the blue picked up the girl's eyes. It really seemed to compliment their coloring. It can be hard to balance three pictures sometimes, especially when they are all the same size. I decided to barely trim them and make a faux film strip with them. I mounted them at the diagonal onto basic black cardstock from Stampin' Up! To get the film strip look, I used the SU spiral punch along both sides. This little punch is SO easy to use and line up! I really like it! After I had my faux film strip, I mounted it onto my blue paper, again on the diagonal. I use basic black ink to stamp swirls and flowers in the bottom left and upper right hand corners with the Doodle This stamp set from SU. I traced the swirls with a green Velvet marker and heat set it. When you heat it, the ink puffs and turns to faux velvet. Very cool! It also softened the color and made it blend with the background paper. I traced the flowers with a purple stickles but....before it could dry, I decided I really didn't like it. I used a paper towel to carefully wipe it off and put some prima flowers on there instead. But....I decided I wasn't crazy about that either! So, I tore off the upper most right corner, flowers included, and put a piece of Close to Cocoa cardstock that I had fed through my crimper and inked with Powder Puff midnight ink. THAT , I liked! I had been dying to use my new embossing/diecutting butterflies I bought for my cuttlebug, so I ran some vellum cardstock through with those and made these awesome butterflies! I adhered them along the body with the Tombow liquid adhesive and added some clear stickles for trails. The final touches were an acetate overlay-frame on the center picture and the "beautiful"...from My Mind's Eye (Tres Jolie). I took my black micro pen to the edges and drew a loose line around the entire page instead of mounting it on something for a border. I thought would be too harsh. Sigh, so, you see...sometimes it takes a while to get it just how I want. I planned to just do a bit of scrapping last night, but when I went to bed, it was 12:30! I'll show you what else I came up with tomorrow!

No comments: