Skip to main content

Manly Friday

This week our bloggers challenge was to make a Manly card. I think it is a pretty common thought that manly cards are difficult. Am I right? I know I usually have to stop and think before I jump into making a card for a man or boy. Girls are easy Ribbons, glitter, flowers,.... etc. Manly cards don't really need any of those things. I looked through my stamps and pulled out two sets I thought were on the manly side. Lovely as a tree is one of my favorite sets of all time. It works for just about everything! My second choice was the Wanted set. What could be more manly than a horse?
This first card came together surprisingly fast. I started with a Chocolate chip card base measuring 5-1/4" square. I added a square of Really Rust and a black mini brad in each corner. For the focal point, I stamped the row of trees with Black Stazon onto Vanilla cardstock. I punched each corner with the ticket punch to make room for the mini brads on the rust. I spritzed the trees with a water spritzer and then used the aquapainter to pick up ink from Really Rust, Pumpkin pie, and Summer Sun stamp pads. I quickly brushed the inks onto the wet cardstock and smeared them together. Because I was using Vanilla cardstock, I didn't want to get the paper too wet or it would start to bead up. I set this aside and let it dry for a minute while I stamped my "thinking of you" from the sincere salutations set, using Stazon and vanilla paper again. I softened the edges with a sponge and some rust ink. I tied a bit of brown tafetta around the vanilla paper...I know, ribbon on a manly card, but...I think it works. Because the paper had 'warped' just a bit from all the water, I used liquid Tombow to adhere it to the base. This adhesive is awesome! It gives you a full, firm hold really quickly.
My second card is a bit more bold. The card base is basic black with a layer of white cardstock over it. I stamped the paisley from the Wanted set with basic black onto Real red cardstock and then cut it at an angle to go across the front of the card. The black strip is a scrap of black cardstock that fit just perfectly. My friend Kim would be so proud of me for using such a small scrap. yay me! I punched holes in the corners of the card and fed a black mini brad through the hold in the corner, leaving the others empty. I thought it looked kind of cool...and...I'll admit it. I was being stingy with my brads. The 'wanted' is stamped with black, layered onto black and embellished with black ribbon. I dug out a bit of hodgepodge hardware to tie the ribbon to. This card is my second choice.....I'm thinking I should have done a bit of masking and stamped "I want U" on there instead of wanted. That would definitely make it more appealing to a man....don't you think?
Today I am prepping for my big crop tomorrow. I am SOOO looking forward to a day of scrapping with my friends! I'll be printing out pictures and planning pages today. I plan to post a totally cute scrap page tomorrow that I did last week, be sure to check back!
Have a great Friday!!

Comments

Lynn Mercurio said…
Both of these are awesome cards. I cringe when I hear, "make a masculine card" because I'm so used to making "girlie" cards...lol You cards are great inspiration to widen my repertoire.
Anonymous said…
I agree that Lovely as a Tree is perfect for "manly" cards. I love how you watercolored just behind the image--very much a "wow"!
Barb Hardeman said…
You really did a great job on both of these cards. Lovely as a tree is my all time fav also. You just can't go wrong with it. I love the boldness of your second card. Super job...
Nikki Bond said…
Very nice! I like the tree one the best but they are both gorgeous! {SMILES}
Unknown said…
Both of your cards are wonderful, but I really love the first one. Your colors and how you used them just makes the whole thing. Wow!
Both cards are terrific! Great job! I love what you did with the piercing and brads on the Wanted card!
Lisa Somerville said…
Beautiful Wet Watercoling behing your Lovely as a Tree image - really makes it WOW.
Nicely done. Love the bright colors on the tree card.
Ida said…
Nice job on both your cards. While I think your tree card is nice I'm drawn to the Wanted card. The colors of red, black & white just make such a bold statement together.
Both of your cards are so wonderful! I adore your Lovely as a Tree card! The background is just beautiful! Masculine and elegant done perfectly! :D
Lisa Bohler said…
Great job on both cards! Love the sunset card...gorgeous and the layout and color choice on the second are WONDERFUL!!!
Barbara said…
Love them both!! Ha! We both think alike....I was looking for my Lovely as a Tree set and found Wanted first, so that's what I used. YOU used both!! The tree card is fabulous....love the simplicity, but definitely has an impact. The Wanted card is so striking in these colors. GREAT job for this week's Challenge!!
Anonymous said…
BEAUTIFUL! I like both cards but am partial to Lovely as a Tree. It's such a classic stamp set. Everyone should own it!
Lori said…
Fantastic cards, Beckie! I love the background you made for the tree image--fabulous!
Groverskate said…
Manly Friday...how funny. I really like the Lovely as a Tree card, its beautiful.
Kathie Bailey said…
Beckie, both cards are terrific! I especially love the pop of color in the red and white one and the Lovely as a Tree set is one of my all time favorites.
MJ said…
Both cards are equally wonderful. The colors on the Lovely as a Tree one are beautiful and the other layout ROCKS. I love it.
Claudia Perry said…
Both cards are great - but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the tree one!!! Great job on that background...
Anonymous said…
Two cards! Wow...love both of them. Great job...

Connie

Popular posts from this blog

Bradley

Sunday, my best friend died. My sweetheart of 20 years died suddenly from diabetes. We didn't know he had diabetes. It came quick and took him from me. Brad was more than just my husband, he was my best friend. I relied so very much on his strength to guide me and my children through this life. I admit I feel a bit lost without him, already. I had planned on much, much more time with him. Brad and I met on January 28th, 1989. We were both at a nightclub for under age night with our friends that had dragged us there. We were both ready to leave when we were talked into one more dance. That dance changed our lives. We hit it off right away and danced the rest of the night. In face, we were together from then on. I remember that after that night, I waited all day for his call. It was love right away for me. I felt something I had never felt before and knew that he was the one for me. We dated for six months before Brad went to Texas to go to school. We talked a lot on the phone, and I

Bloggers challenge and candy

I know I said I would post some blog candy yesterday but I didn't even get near my computer! What a crazy day! I had planned on doing it the night before but...I was in the kitchen doing the dishes and I was so dog tired that I laid my head down on the counter for a minute. My son came into the room and said, "go to bed mom, dad and I will do the dishes." Now, who in thier right mind would turn down that offer? My boys HATE to do anything in the kitchen that doesn't involve eating. I immediately turned off my water(boiling for herb tea) and skedaddled upstairs and went to bed. I'm no dummy! The kitchen was not cleaned to my standards, but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth! Speaking of gifts, I have a little blog candy offer today. In honor of my 8000 hits, I am offering the following: A simply scrappin kit "Just Delightful", a stamp set "Delight in Life", three mini spools of ribbon, some acrylic tiles AND a copy of the latest

Doubles with candy!!

Today is another fun summer day at my house. The kids are running here and there and I'm just trying to keep up. I realized I hadn't sent out Father's day cards yet, so that is what I worked on today. I tried to keep these nice and clean and manly. I remember going to a demonstration at a Stampin' Up! convention years ago where Kevin Theeson and another guy(I forget his name....) talked about 'manly' cards. One of the things they stressed was that guys don't like cards made with pastel cards. They prefer bold bright and earth element colors. I'm not sure if they suggested we stay away from florals too, but I kind of figured that was a safe idea. ;o) For this card I started with some textured Wild Wasabi cardstock cut to 10-1/2 x 5-1/4. That gave me a 5-1/4" card when folded. The striped paper across the center is from a retired SU simply scrappin kit...primary colors I think it was called. I added a strip of Real Red to each side of the stripes for