Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cuttlebug revisited

Do you have any tools that you just HAD to have and bought and then...forgot about? I do that all the time! The Cuttlebug is one of those items. Just had to have it and...I don't use it much. It is a stretch for me because I am a stampin girl and that is where I look most. I decided I needed to pull out the bug and play with it yesterday. I also got a few new embossing folders to help me out....you know, new stuff always inspires creativity! This first card was made using the Allegro folder and black Stampin' Up! cardstock. I ran the cardstock through and then gently rubbed the raised design with Stampin' Up!'s white craft pad. The faint white looked a lot like Bashful blue so that is the color I chose for the card base. I wrapped a strip of white satin ribbon around the front and overlapped it on the front. I used a metal edge tag over a Groovy Guava scallop as the focal point and also as the 'closure' for the ribbon. I attached the scallop with dimensionals and made sure I had them positioned on both ends of the ribbon so they would hold the ribbon on. I stamped the A-always from the SU Always set in Basic black. The tag looked a bit plain so I squeezed out some clear stickles onto it and spread it around with my finger. To finish it off I rounded the corners on the right side with my corner rounder.


The other new embossing folder I got was the Perfect Paisley folder. Very cute, but....what to do with it! I think the problem for me is that the embossed image is so very pretty it tends to take center stage. What do you put with it? I obviously need more practice with these things. I used a piece of Coral cardstock this time in the folder. I cut the cardstock into strips and put one of the front of the card and one on the inside along the right edge. The card base is barely banana. I wanted to soften up the paisley a bit so I used a sponge dauber to rub some summer sun chalk right onto the raised images. The stitched edge is not my sewing maching this time....people were sleeping....it is my SU crafter's kit at work. I used the paper piercer and the handy dandy hole guide to punch these perfectly spaced holes and then attached them with the white gel pen for a faux stitch look. For the focal point, I used a scalloped oval I had previously cut with the Nestabilities die (also using my cuttlebug0 and instead of layering another oval inside that, I used the sponge dauber again with the summer sun ink to make an oval shadow. The E is from a kit I got somewhere...Prima maybe?? Anyway, I punched a hole in it with the Cropadile and stuck a fire rhinestone brad through a felt flower and the E to make it a bit more girly. The white ribbon on the left is just your average WalMart ribbon. I used my corner rounder again on this card to finish it off. I think these bright colors will be perfect for my girl friend. She is a bright and sunny person.



The last card today is one I did for my workshop yesterday. I used the new Blossom set from the Stampin' Up! Occassions mini catalog. It is a beautiful set! I started with a whisper white card base. I cut a strip of designer paper from the new Afternoon Tea collection to fit the left side. I stamped the Text from the Blossom set onto the designer paper using Groovy Guava ink to give it more texture. I stamped the flower twice with Black Staz on and cut out the front petals from one flower and mounted them over the other with dimensionals. The flower is colored in with the blender pen and ink from Groovey Guava and Wild Wasabi ink pads. I added a bit of Dazzling Diamonds glitter to the center to give it some life and added some paper piercing to the corners. "Bloom" is stamped with black Stazon onto vellum cardstock and adhered with gold brads.

4 comments:

Arcticstamper said...

I love what you did with this set, it's so warm and reminds me of spring! Beautiful colors and layout.
-Darleia

Corie said...

WOW -- these are just stunning!!

Michelle Tweedy said...

I love them all but the "E" card is my fave. So very pretty. I'm sure it will be loved by the recipient.

terri bear said...

i too just got new bug folders and got it back out. I embossed the new paisley on white then used different color markers to trace around the designs keeping the same color for the same pattern. It came out so cute i immediately made it into a thank you card for the person that gave me the folder for a birthday gift. Sorry i don' have the example to share.