Skip to main content

Lattice tutorial


This is my first attempt at a tutorial. I had some requests for the lattice instructions so I decided to try this route. I did not come up with the technique....it has been around for a long time. I do not know who the creative genius is that came up with it, but I'll throw out a cyber thanks to them. Here goes! For this technique I like to use two sided paper. This paper is some left overs from a CK wall art kit I was playing with today. The easiest way to do this technique that I know of is to use



grid paper. I am useing a piece cut from my SU grid pad. You just need it about 3 inches wide and as long as the paper you want to lattice. For this project I am doing a strip lattice to put on the front of a card. You can do the same steps using a full card.




Fold your strip of paper and your grid paper in half. Be sure to fold on a line of the grid paper.








Put your paper inside the fold of the grid paper so

the folds are together.



Using the grid paper as your guide, cut into both papers diagonally through three squares.



Go to the next square and cut diagonally through two squares. Your cuts should end on the same line. Go to the next square and cut three, then two, then three....etc. til you get close to the end of your paper. Try to keep your cuts straight.

When you get all your cuts done you can pull the paper out of the grid paper and open it flat.
Lay the cut paper mountain fold up.






Starting with the second triangular cut, fold the strip down and smooth it with your bone folder. Skip the third and fold the fourth. Continue folding and skipping until you have all the cuts folded. You can then go back and tuck the folded points under the peak below it if you wish.

You can leave the piece flat or refold it for the edge of a card.

For this card, I layered the lattice work on top of a black card base. I like the look of the black showing through. Kind of masculine, don't you think? I added some plain white ribbon from WalMart along the sides and spelled out DAD with some scrappin tiles I picked up somewhere.



I hope that helps! Give the lattice fold technique a try and show me what you come up with!

Comments

this is pretty cool! thanks for sharing!!!

aloha,
Jen
Beth Thomas said…
Great job on the tutorial! Be a great technique for Yazmin and I to do at one of our technique club meetings. Hope everything is good your way!
Anonymous said…
Bonjour I'd love to thank you for such a terrific quality forum!
Was thinking this would be a perfect way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Robin Toby
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/mexican-party-supplies.html]mexican Party Supplies[/url].

Popular posts from this blog

Bradley

Sunday, my best friend died. My sweetheart of 20 years died suddenly from diabetes. We didn't know he had diabetes. It came quick and took him from me. Brad was more than just my husband, he was my best friend. I relied so very much on his strength to guide me and my children through this life. I admit I feel a bit lost without him, already. I had planned on much, much more time with him. Brad and I met on January 28th, 1989. We were both at a nightclub for under age night with our friends that had dragged us there. We were both ready to leave when we were talked into one more dance. That dance changed our lives. We hit it off right away and danced the rest of the night. In face, we were together from then on. I remember that after that night, I waited all day for his call. It was love right away for me. I felt something I had never felt before and knew that he was the one for me. We dated for six months before Brad went to Texas to go to school. We talked a lot on the phone, and I

Bloggers challenge and candy

I know I said I would post some blog candy yesterday but I didn't even get near my computer! What a crazy day! I had planned on doing it the night before but...I was in the kitchen doing the dishes and I was so dog tired that I laid my head down on the counter for a minute. My son came into the room and said, "go to bed mom, dad and I will do the dishes." Now, who in thier right mind would turn down that offer? My boys HATE to do anything in the kitchen that doesn't involve eating. I immediately turned off my water(boiling for herb tea) and skedaddled upstairs and went to bed. I'm no dummy! The kitchen was not cleaned to my standards, but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth! Speaking of gifts, I have a little blog candy offer today. In honor of my 8000 hits, I am offering the following: A simply scrappin kit "Just Delightful", a stamp set "Delight in Life", three mini spools of ribbon, some acrylic tiles AND a copy of the latest

Doubles with candy!!

Today is another fun summer day at my house. The kids are running here and there and I'm just trying to keep up. I realized I hadn't sent out Father's day cards yet, so that is what I worked on today. I tried to keep these nice and clean and manly. I remember going to a demonstration at a Stampin' Up! convention years ago where Kevin Theeson and another guy(I forget his name....) talked about 'manly' cards. One of the things they stressed was that guys don't like cards made with pastel cards. They prefer bold bright and earth element colors. I'm not sure if they suggested we stay away from florals too, but I kind of figured that was a safe idea. ;o) For this card I started with some textured Wild Wasabi cardstock cut to 10-1/2 x 5-1/4. That gave me a 5-1/4" card when folded. The striped paper across the center is from a retired SU simply scrappin kit...primary colors I think it was called. I added a strip of Real Red to each side of the stripes for